id Software E3: Erleichterung bei id über das Ende der Engine-Lizenzierung

MacX

Light Guard
In einem Gespräch mit Gamasutra zeigt sich John Carmack erleichtert darüber, sich nicht mehr um die Lizenzierung der Engines kümmern zu müssen.

"It's interesting when you look at our technology licensing -- it was never really a business that I wanted to be in," he said. "In the very early days, people would pester us, and we'd just throw out some ridiculous terms, and we were surprised when people started taking us up on it."

"I didn't want to be in the process of supporting a lot of outside teams, because you feel beholden to not make radical changes when it's going to pull the rug out from lots of other people," he explained. "When it's your own team, you can make the sensible decision that [a big change] is going to be worth it, that it's going to suck for a while, but we make our way through it. But you don't want to do that to other people."

Carmack sagt weiterhin, dass keine "Magie" hinter der id Tech 5 steckt. Diese mag zufriedenstellend für Spiele wie RAGE sein, die Megatexturen-Technologie eignet sich aber nicht für Spiele wie GTA oder TES V: Skyrim.

In einem anderen Interview mit Gamasutra vertrat Tim Willits hinsichtlich Lizenzierungsangelegenheiten dieselbe Seite wie Carmack .

"For us, it was such a burden off our back. Licensing is a big pain, it really is. ... We always wanted to focus on the games, so it was a nice relief for us not to have to do that."

Er verdeutlicht aber noch einmal, dass sich nichts an Carmacks Open Source Philosophie geändert hat:

... But John is still very active in open source," Willits said, "and we're the only ones that release our source now to such an extensive level, and the PC version [of Rage] will have the SDK ... all that stuff will be available. The spirit of [Carmack's] sense of sharing and working with the community, that's still pretty intact. I wouldn't stress too much about it."

Quelle:
Gamasutra